Saturday, May 1, 2010

Fruit Orchard - The Beginning! April 3, 2010

.

I have not posted in a month.

Why? Because I barely have time to breathe, much less put pretty pictures online, but then that defeats the whole purpose of having a blog, doesn't it!

So I am going to try to catch up on a month's worth of activity today.

Something that has nothing to do with this post, but interesting to myself...

Is this giant Zip Lock baggy!





Have you ever seen anything so enormous? Friends came over to work on sewing and left us with this cool bag. I'm sure I'll find something to do with it.





But even bigger news. For 11 years I have dreamed of an orchard on this place. There was always some reason given for 'not this year' and in the last couple of years I had no money for them at all. But with threats of jail giving us the benefit of actual child support and all the extra jobs we take on, we finally are getting an orchard!

Here are our first trees.





Granny Smith apple, Michael's favorite. And a Gala, for a little less tangy, yet-still-crisp-and-juicy eating. I did not find an Asian pear for sale, probably won't do well in this area, but did get Bartlett and Keiffer pears.

WITH a 1 year return policy. DON'T buy trees without them. You'll go broke.





Picking up a few odds and ends for the herb and veggie gardens.





Dreaming of large trees,

~Faith

.

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see you updating!!! I have missed you. Tonight I will start here and catch up. I can't wait because the pictures look wonderful. I knew you were busy and was praying that your computer had not died. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want an orchard too! One of these days I'll get one.

    Glad your back. We all missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, SM! I missed you as well, I stopped by once in a while and read some of your posts, you are a whirlwind of activity over there!

    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete
  4. SFG,

    Won't be too long, I hope. Once you get your bigger projects out of the way you can focus on that.

    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohh... i would love an orchard too, but i got just enough room for the new garden and the existing apple trees. Some berry shrubs or other fruiting trees that can be kept pruned small will work...

    Hey, maybe you can use that giant ziplock baggie to store some of your harvested fruit! lol

    Something that big has got to have a good use waiting for it :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from others. If you become a regular commenter, I'll assume you are being friendly and pretty much comment regularly right back. :o) God bless and have a terrific day!