Sunday, May 3, 2009

May 1, 2009 ~ Planting Some Herbs and More Veggies

.

What I am trying to do is clear the patio of the seedlings first. So my order of planting is based on that. Otherwise I'd be doing it differently.


20090430_7831


We planted a variety of sunflowers in the lowest bed over in the fruit crop area. I was going to plant a lot of seeds at the same time, but the thought of having to protect them as as they were sprouting from the weed seeds sprouting at the same time was enough to stop me. I think I will go ahead and make plant starts to set out later, just as soon as we have the other ones planted.

Here is Michael, dropping some herbs into one of five beds my dad mercifully came over and rototilled for us. I would love to find a used rototiller this year! I hope one that does not need any tinkering.



20090430_7834


Herb beds we planted today:

Basil, Chives, Rosemary, Fennel, Stevia, Thyme, and Lovage. I have more flats started, but I'm going to let them get taller before I put them out to compete against weeds.

Looking down from the Jostaberries we've got, first is the strawberry bed, then three herb beds, then the cutting flower bed. Below are two lines of posts that used to hold 100 foot long raspberry rows, the blackberry row, the vineyard, and the bush cherries.


20090430_7832


Back in the veggie garden; above the melons we planted summer squash. Only Early Yellow Crookneck and Black Zucchini this year.


20090503_7842


Above the summer squash, we planted cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and piricicaba.


20090503_7843


Above those brassicas we planted kohlrabi, artichoke and eggplants, and sweet bell peppers.



20090503_7843


Above those we planted the rest of the peppers.


20090503_7849


And we hoed the spot where the second row of peas Michael put in had not been successful. He planted them on his own and we don't know what went wrong, but we replanted, if a little behind schedule.

I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, because I am almost caught up to current time.
:)

Faith

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from others. If you become a regular commenter, I'll assume you are being friendly and pretty much comment regularly right back. :o) God bless and have a terrific day!