Sunday, May 3, 2009

April 29, 2009 ~ Big Garden Planting Day

.

I do wish we'd had more planning go on for the planting, but chaos reigned once again and it was all we could do to get things in the ground. Really, the biggest problem is we do not have enough ground ready for the plants and I did not know how I was going to go about doing it.



20090429_7816


So we semi- winged it. This first day we spent planting celery, celeriac, and about 6 different melons.


20090429_7827


Collecting the celery and its kin at the patio...


20090429_7817


The celery and celeriac are a very temperamental crop. I've never grown them before. But then again, I've never eaten so much celery before either and I figured I ought to try celeriac alongside it.

They need a lot of water and they will need shade when it's hot. Honestly, I expect these to fail. But I'm going to give them a chance. They went in the lowest part of the garden area and we dug troughs to plant them in so they can be kept wetter than the surrounding ground. We can fill the trenches to water them, and when it's hot, I am hoping the shade from the melons will be enough for them.



20090429_7821
\

Melons planted were Crimson Sweet Watermelon, Sugar Baby Watermelon, Prescott Fond Blanc Muskemelon, Orange Honeydew, Arava Cantaloupe, and Hale's Best Cantaloupe.



20090429_7828


Can't wait for chilled melon on the patio table this summer!

Faith

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from others. If you become a regular commenter, I'll assume you are being friendly and pretty much comment regularly right back. :o) God bless and have a terrific day!