Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Somewhere In Time - RenFaire

.

And no one really knows when because, as we discovered, Renaissance Faires are not exactly the most historically accurate events.

We'd been wanting to attend one of these for a long time, so we were really looking forward to going this last Saturday.

We drove about an hour away to a crowded, but beautiful, little park to see what one was like.

We walked through a lovely old residential area of town where this park was, oohing and ahing over the the homes and yards. And all I thought to photograph was this magnolia blossom!





Oh, look! Some stocks!




Michael being a good sport. Notice the woman in the background.





I say that because we did not notice her. Until it was too late. Apparently, she set these up. And she may have been a little starved for love...

I wondered if Michael would ever forgive me when she brought out the whip and began demanding a kiss for his release...

All I am thinking at this moment was how it was going to look if I had to take this woman out. There was no WAY Michael's first kiss was going to be this!





But she relented, Michael forgave me generously, and we moved on to a stage where a man was telling stories.





I was interested in seeing him jump rope in a straight jacket, but the men in brassieres encouraged us to quickly find a new avenue of entertainment. This is a family event?





Shopping was fun!





Michael got some practice throwing knives.





The girls got some jewelry.





And I got lots of photos.

















These girls were very talented actresses who did bits of Shakespeare.





We had professional jousters. We enjoyed the demonstrations very much.





Music!





Pirates!





Lots of fairies flittered about, as well as people dressed as warlords and such. It sort of felt like the Lord of the Rings people had arrived to liven things up.





Head pirate was arrested.





Brought before the executioner...





A loud ruckus ensued...





Then he was granted a reprieve by Queen Elizabeth.





And forced to dance.





It was great fun. I'd love to find one that was historically accurate and less bawdy. Time to start our own?

Havin' fun!

~Faith

.

6 comments:

  1. From your pictures it did seem a bit bawdy. Good thing your family escaped the "stock" episode unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Your narration is hysterical. We went to one of these a few years ago & had a lot of fun, but made many of the same observations you did as to the "family content." Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was super-surprised that there weren't any fiber artists at the Ren festival in Atl. I was also sad... but it is probably a good thing since I already have enough fiber!

    I think we need to start our own... like we were talking about last night. Like we really need another sewing day to get ready for Renaissance days!

    See you tonight, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly,

    I guess just about all of them are held in the spring time, so we've got some time to decide if we'll give one another chance. ;o) I've been hearing the same thing from lots of people.

    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah, I agree. Besides, things will slow down this winter and we'll have nothing to do but sew.... right...?

    Ha!

    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from others. If you become a regular commenter, I'll assume you are being friendly and pretty much comment regularly right back. :o) God bless and have a terrific day!