Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Gettin' Figgy 2

.

We had great growth on the fig trees (bushes) over the summer. This is the tallest they have been yet. Sadly, because they were frozen to the ground over winter, they had to start from scratch again. So we did not get a fig crop.

We have 3 Celeste and 3 Brown Turkey. Both are hardy figs, but not quite hardy enough for my goals.

There were a couple earlier this year, and this one yesterday.





I got to eat it, since Michael does not like them. Lots of green ones, but they will not ripen before frosts come.

I truly hope that one day I can get enough growth to stay, so that they can become trees.

Big dreams.

The scent of fig trees is incredible. Nothing like it.

























Autumn is nearly here...

Red berries of asparagus.





Red berries of highbush cranberry.





The blackberries did well this year. Still looking green. We are kind of glad they are no longer producing!





I have been wondering what was wrong at this end of the vineyard. Vines were yellowing and losing their leaves. I think it may be chlorosis. I saw the same thing on part of the blackberries earlier this year. It can be due to several deficiencies, and made worse by a lot of rain.





New growth is returning, however.





Now that I've caught up, I've got to get busy again.

~Faith

.

13 comments:

  1. I wish we had a fig tree or two. But they just won't live here...not now or ever, I do believe!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I had no idea you were a regular Fig and strawberry farmer! I can see it now! Faith's Fig Newtons!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I long for figs...fresh figs, not the dried ones. I will have to check the grocers...they have a very short season, I believe, so my window of opportunity is very small!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda,

    No, not unless you potted it. But a large pot on rollers would ensure you a little fig harvest.

    Most people don't like them as much as I do, so if you are the average person, that would probably be enough for you.

    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo,

    I don't like fig newtons! LOL

    I only like fresh figs, not dried. Yucky!

    I'll have to shorten it to Faith's Figs.

    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cyn,

    Me too. No dried figs!

    I've never seen them fresh in the store. I bet you'd have to go to a larger city than I'm used to being in.

    They are tropical, so I wonder that they could not ship them in from S America?

    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loooove fresh figs! We have 2 trees,just starting to show new growth now,as we are in Spring here.I tend to share ALOT of them with the birds *grumble,grumble* but this season....Im ready !

    ReplyDelete
  8. How tall do figs get? I would love to plant them. How many years/months to maturity? Do you know if they will grow in zone 6 or 7?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Granny,

    Starting new growth. You must have had good weather. Yay for figs!

    Party pooper birds. Be better if they'd eat all the bad bugs instead our fruits.

    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete
  10. SBF,

    Yup, those zones are fine. They'll need to be hardy figs.

    They can get 20 feet or more high, but mine have died back nearly every year. My folks have one that is about 20 feet high. They have it against the brick wall of their home's southern side. A little more sheltered there.

    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know if I have ever had a fig. Lovely pics! Missed you all tonight! See you Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhhh...now i see why adam & eve used fig trees to cover up....them's BIG...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aren't they just cute?! They look fake, but I definitely want one! Maybe one day. Love you! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from others. If you become a regular commenter, I'll assume you are being friendly and pretty much comment regularly right back. :o) God bless and have a terrific day!